Friday, September 7, 2012

Spooks

While reading today's newspaper, I was inevitably brought back in time. I was reading the article about the mysterious murder case in the French mountains, where 5 people were found shot. It looks like a professional killing, as it is deemed likely the murdered man was a spook.
Now I once had this boyfriend... I was introduced to him by another friend and it was love at first sight for both of us. We were mad about each other, and we told each other everything - or so I thought. He confessed freely to me he worked in intelligence, but never said anything about which agency he worked for. Just that he'd been in Russia and Afghanistan, undercover.
In the same timeframe, a cell of the IRA was active in Belgium as well (I learned about this later). JP and I had about one year, and then he disappeared. Broke my heart.
About one year later, I received a letter with a South-African stamp and no address or sender. When I opened it, it was written by JP and in it he told me he had to go away, because there had been threaths to kill me and my family. I did not know if I could believe it, or not.
But then strange things began to happen. Somebody came to a pub, where a close friend of mine used to water his throat, and asked questions about me.  A year or two later, we got a phone call from someone asking for a "Mr. De Prins" - not quite the same name, but close enough. I told them I knew no such person.
For years and years nothing happend anymore, and I could finally forget about JP and the weird things. But not so long ago, I found out our house was broken into. There were no obvious signs, but if you are as meticulous as I am, you spot the changes.  A computer not closed off as I normally do. A bag of knitting wool, looking ok at first sight, but if you tried to take something out, it was as if the cat had gone through it - only we have no cat. My sister is sure she has seen two men at night - one telling her not to be afraid (and then she doesn't remember anything).
Being a writer, my mind conjures up all kinds of conspiracy theories, one being that JP must have hidden something in our house, all those years ago. Something we aren't aware of. I have practically nothing of him, only a picture in my purse. He's never given me anything or asked me to keep something hidden. Now if I'm not imaginin all this, those guys will certainly be monitoring this blogand everything else I do. Well guys, I don't know anything. I haven't seen JP since he went away. Leave us be!

No comments:

Post a Comment