Saturday, September 29, 2012

The right to vote - or the duty?

Belgium is one of the few countries in the world where people HAVE TO vote. Now I know that people have fought for decades to get a vote, but imo you should also have the right to chose if you want to cast your vote or not.
On 14th October we have municipal elections. That means a lost weekend. You have to remain in your town, because despite the modern era, you can't vote by computer. If you could do that, you could be wherever you wanted and vote via your smartphone or tablet. No, now you have to stay put and vote for someone you don't want to vote for.
There is not one party that meets my approval. They all just want one thing: to enrich themselves.
I guess I should begin my own party (meeting the requirements is not that difficult, but I'm not really made for politics). My views are quite different from what most people think.
I do have a plan in mind, which would benefit most of the population and the country, but all the present ministers and members of parliament would not be satisfied. That's why I just keep my mouth shut and do nothing.
I would like to cast a vote that is not legitimate -but you can't do that anymore. In the old days I just wrote 'I don't give a damn' on the paper, and that was it. Now you have to vote for someone uninportant, who will certainly not get a lot of votes...
If I had a lot of money, I'd go to the European Court to claim my right not to vote if I didn't want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment