Monday, October 3, 2016

Could you survive in dire circumstances?

Lately, I've been reading a lot. One of my books was about a young boy who escaped a kidnapper and ran into the woods. There he tried to survive until he got to a place where he would be safe and could contact his parents and the police. He survived, but of course that's just fiction.

Makes me wonder how many of us would be able to do just the same? Imagine you have to leave your home with nothing but your clothes on your body and (hopefully) something in your pockets or purse that could serve as a knife. Would you be able to catch, kill and skin a bird, a rabbit or whatever? Or make a fire? Find a shelter to sleep in?

I know for myself I'd find it very hard. We modern people don't know how to live in the wild any longer. Our grandparents perhaps could have managed - well, some did when they lived through a terrible war. They used what they could to make do. I do know some basics, like the fact that snow can be used to isolate and that's it's warmer near a tree under a cover of leafs. But I seriously doubt I could catch a bird or a rabbit. Next to that I also don't know what edible and what's not. I just wouldn't survive.

Schools should teach kids how to cope with the circumstances instead of having subjects that don't interest a person.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment