Thursday, January 3, 2013

'Allo 'Allo and such

I often wonder why people still watch - and like - series like 'Allo 'Allo of Keeping Up Apperances?


I must admit, even after twenty or thirty years of rehearsals, I can still laugh at this superb British humor. And sorry for the Americans among you, I can seldom laugh with American humor (I often think they laugh at themselves). Only The Nanny appealed to me.

What would the reasons for this success? Is it because people recognize themselves in René or Hyacinth, or Onslow?

Is it  because these series are obviously well-made, with the right balance between story and wit?

Is it because we like to laugh at others, and don't think we can behave just as silly?

I really don't know. But it's a fact that even after all of these years we can still watch and have fun with the adventures of René and Michelle of the Résistance.

Or laugh with the way how Hyacith Bucket talks about herself (her name is pronounced Bouquet, she claims).



Or how Onslow portrays the lifelong unemployed, who likes to spend his time in bed?


Here in Flanders we have another series that can equal the success of the aboven mentioned. It's called FC De Kampioenen and is about a fourth grade soccer club and its members. Each winter and summer they run these episodes and you keep on laughing!




No comments:

Post a Comment